Please click on the question to see your answer open below.
Do you have a COVID-19 policy?
Yes, here is a link to our COVID-19 policies and guidelines.
Do I need to make a reservation? Will you run out of canoes or kayaks?
Reservations are reccomended but not required. We typically do not run out of canoes or kayaks, but a reservation is highly recommended if you want to guarantee a canoe or kayak will be ready for you on the day you arrive. By making an online reservation, you will avoid lines at the canoe base and save money. You can head right to the beach captain and show them your receipt and away you go!
On my reservation, where do I put the time of my return shuttle?
You do not select a time for a return shuttle. You just need to be at the end destination by the posted shuttle pickup times. The buses will leave the landing at the posted times.
What is the difference between an Express & a One-Way shuttle?
Our one-way shuttles will pick you up after you canoe down river and bring you back to your vehicle at the MN Interstate Park. The Express Shuttle will pick you up at The William O'Brien State Park at 9:30am sharp and bring you to the starting point, Minnesota Interstate State Park. You will then paddle down to your vehicle. Advanced reservations required for the 9:30am Express Shuttle from William O'Brien State Park. The William O'Brien trip is available Memorial Day weekend thru Labor Day weekend on Saturday, Sundays and Holidays.'
Do you have single or double kayaks?
Both. We now have both single and double kayaks. Please note; the single kayaks are for one passenger only, and double kayaks for two passengers only. Note that you will need to get in the water to push off if you rent a double kayak.
How many people can I fit into a canoe or kayaks and what is the weight limits of each?
We recommend a maximum of 3 adults or 2 adults with 2 children in a canoe. There is a maximum weight limit of 770lbs as well. If you have 2 adults & 2 younger children – we recommend getting one canoe & one kayak. That way you can trade places throughout the day. Anytime you have 2 people sitting in the middle of the canoe you are much more likely to tip over. One passenger only in our single kayak and a weight limit of 275lbs. Two people only in our Double Kayaks with a weight limit of 450.
Will I have to get in the water to launch my canoe or kayak?
You will have to get in the water to launch your double kayak. You will not have to get in the water to launch a canoe or single kayak. You may want to consider an old pair to tennis shoes or water shoes. A small towel to wipe your feet dry if you so choose.
Can my son or daughter paddle the canoe or kayak by himself or herself?
Yes, as long as you are comfortable with your child paddling.
Where do I park?
There are 2 options for parking.
1. You can park at the Interstate State Park inside the MN Interstate State Park and go directly to the Canoe Base at the rivers edge where you will begin your trip.
When you park inside the park you will be required to have a MN State Park Sticker ($7 daily) ($35 annually)
2. You can also park for FREE at Wildwood RV Park & Campground, 20078 Lake Blvd Shafer MN, 55074.
The campground offers complimentary continuous shuttles to the park.
At the Guest Service center at the campground there are flush toilets, ice, snacks and other supplies available that you may want/need while on the river.
Last year due to Covid and lack of car pooling, we found that the Interstate State Park parking was often full by 11am on weekends and holidays and then the park redirected you to go to Wildwood Campground for parking.
What should I bring with me?
- Garbage bags The National Park Service has a "Pack it in, Pack it out" policy. Help keep your rivers clean.
- Sunscreen You may get sunburned even on cloudy days.
- Sunglasses with a strap You don't want to lose your glasses in the river.
- Hat or Cap
- Water shoes old tennis shoes or sandals with straps on the heels. Bare feet or loose sandals are not recommended. If renting a double kayak you will need to get into the water to start your trip.
- Mosquito/tick repellant
- Fishing license (MN or WI acceptable)
- Food, snacks, water No glass bottles
- Camera in a waterproof bag
- Beach towel
- Seat cushion or extra towel to sit on
Can I bring my Dog?
Yes. A small or medium-size dog is welcome in the canoe. We don't recommend a dog of any size in our kayaks. Dogs must be leashed on the shuttle and in the parks.
Can I just utilize your shuttle service for I have my own equipment?
Yes. We cannot haul your equipment, but you can purchase a shuttle-only ticket for yourself or a member of your party, for $20.00 and we will bring you back to your vehicle at Interstate Park or Wildwood.
Can we bring a cooler?
You are more than welcome to bring a medium size cooler in the canoe and a soft sided small cooler in the single or double kayaks. Carry in carry out trash policy.
Do you offer a military discount?
We offer a discount to our U.S. troops as a way of saying thank you! Any service personnel and their immediate family under the ages of 18 will receive $10.00 off a one-way, walk-in Taylors Falls Canoe or Kayak Rental, valid anytime when a current military ID is presented. Must present military ID at the canoe base to receive your discount. This discount cannot be combined with any other discounts including an on-line reservation discount.
What if I need to cancel my canoe or kayak reservation?
Do I have to pay for a State Park Sticker to Canoe or Kayak?
Yes, if you are parking in either Interstate or William O'Brien parks. However, you may park at Wildwood RV Park & Campground and we will shuttle you at no additional charge to the Interstate State Park to where your canoe/kayak trip will begin. Then after your trip, we will bring you back to Wildwood Campground which is located at 20078 Lake Blvd, Shafer, MN 55074.
What is the cost of the MN State Park Sticker?
The daily cost is $7 or the annual cost is $35. This cost supports maintenance of the park including keeping restrooms and parking areas clean, providing trash and recycling receptacles and security patrols through the park. For people that visit state parks throughout the year, the annual permit is an excellent value.
Camping on the river? What do I need to do?
A camping permit is required to camp along this section of the river.
The camping permit is available free of charge at the Minnesota Interstate State Park or St. Croix River Visitor Center. The visitor center is located at 401 North Hamilton Street in St. Croix Falls, Wisconsin, and can be reached at (715) 483-2274. The visitor center will be open 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. daily Mid April through Mid October.
The application for a permit is also available online at www.nps.gov/sacn for people to print, read, sign, and mail to the visitor center. Or you can download the application here Camping Permit Application After reviewing the application, NPS staff will mail the permit.
When obtaining a permit, campers agree to the following regulations:
- Campers must camp in designated campsites, which are available on a first-come, first served basis.
- Campers are required to bring in and use their own portable camp toilets or use onboard facilities on self-contained boats.
- A total of 20 primitive and 2 primitive group campsites have been established. Up to 8 people and 3 tents will be allowed at individual campsites. Group sites will accommodate 9 to 16 people and up to 6 tents. Larger groups need to split up or make arrangements to camp in one of the state parks along this section of the river.
- There is a limit of stay of 3 consecutive nights at any campsite. There is a 30-night limit for the season.
- Campsites must be occupied on the first night of stay.
- The camping permit must be attached to the tent so it is clearly visible. The permit must be displayed every time you camp in 2019.
- Alcohol is prohibited at the six individual Eagle’s Nest campsites (river mile 48.5).
- Quiet hours are from 10:00 pm. to 6:00 am.
- Campfires are permitted only in steel fire rings or grills.
- The cutting of live vegetation is strictly prohibited. Dead and down wood may be collected from shoreline areas, however, it cannot be collected from islands.
- Possession of firewood that originates more than 25 miles from the Riverway is prohibited.
- Campfires must be out and cold before you leave the area.
- Do not bring glass containers to the Riverway.
- All trash must be carried out of the Riverway at the end of your stay.
- Possession or use of fireworks is prohibited.
How can I help or be involved in helping to keep the St Croix River Clean?
Take a look at this web site: www.cleanuptheriver.com to find out how you can help be involved in cleaning up the St Croix River.
What is the Wm O’ Brien Express Bus?
With the express shuttle, you will actually park your vehicle at William O'Brien State Park in the morning and we will pick you up, bring you up to Taylors Falls, get your canoe or kayak, and spend the rest of the day paddling your way back down to your vehicle. No return shuttle to catch.
Available weekends & holidays: Available Memorial-Labor Day weekends only.
Shuttle pick-up time at William O-Brien: 9:30 am